Do You Need More Time to File?

Are you having trouble getting all your tax return information together in time for the April 15th deadline? Don’t despair.

You can request an automatic six-month filing extension—no questions asked by the IRS. This gives you until October 15, 2013, to file your 2012 return.

Caveat: A filing extension is not an extension for paying taxes. A reasonable estimate must be made of the amount you owe, and the IRS should be paid by April 15.